Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Black and White

I recently picked up a pair of Sakura Gelly Rolls - one black and one white.  In the future, I would like to have a set of these in many colours, but since black and white are probably the "colours" I use most in my art journal, I thought I would start with these.

Because Gelly Rolls are more often thought of as craft pens rather than as writing pens, I decided to do a slightly different written review than I usually do, drawing this mandala on black and white cardstock:


Overall, the white and black Gelly Rolls are decent basic gel pens.  The black writes very smoothly, but I did experience a few skipping problems with the white.  This could have been due to the different papers I was using them on, and may not necessarily have reflected the actual quality of the pens.  The white is not as white as I would like, but it is slightly whiter than the white Pilot Choose, which I reviewed earlier.

The design of the pen is also very basic, with no grip section, the barcode printed directly on the body of the pen (which really annoys me, but I'm getting over it), and what feels like a rather flimsy clip.  Again, these are more craft pens than writing pens.  Although it may be basic, that is precisely why I like the Gelly Roll: it is a good basic gel pen, and nothing more.

Related review: The Pen Addict

7 comments:

  1. Great drawing and pic! I love your blog.
    From a "fellow addict"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Biffybeans and Lito. I'm glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great drawing and where did you buy the pens?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought the pens at a small local stationery store, but you can also buy them at Michaels (at least in my area). Some are also available at www.jetpens.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome drawing!! Where do you usually buy your pens?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Adeelzq! I buy my pens at stores such as Michaels and Staples, my university bookstore, local independent stationery and art supply stores, JetPens.com, and wherever else I can find pens that I like.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...