Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Rhodia Webnotebook Dot Grid

I was pleasantly surprised the other day when I opened my mailbox to discover this dot grid version of the Rhodia Webnotebook waiting for me, a sample from Karen at Exaclair.  Because I have already reviewed the orange-covered, unlined version of the Webnotebook, this will not be a complete review, but will instead focus on the unique features of the black-covered, dot grid version.  If you want more information about the notebook in general, check out the original review.

Black notebook in orange packaging.
As I mentioned, my new Webbie is black rather than orange, meaning that not only the cover but also the endpapers, back pocket, and ribbon bookmark are black.  I'm not used to seeing very dark endpapers in books so the black endpapers did come as a bit of a surprise, but overall this is a great-looking notebook with a somewhat understated appearance - not nearly as bold as the orange version.

Checking out the pocket.
However, the most exciting part of this notebook is the dot grid format of the paper.  I have never before used any paper in a dot grid format, so I was really looking forward to trying this out.  The dots are grey (therefore unobtrusive on the off-white paper) and 5mm apart - possibly a bit narrow for some but ideal for my small handwriting.  The dots run all the way to the top, bottom, and sides of the pages, with the pages being otherwise unmarked.

Unlined (top) compared to dot grid (bottom).
Just as with the unlined version, this dot grid version offers 90g Clairefontaine vellum paper.  Keep in mind that, as I described in my review of the Rhodia No. 11 Pad, the very smooth nature of this paper may lead to slow drying times for some pens and inks.

I tested a number of pens on this paper and, unsurprisingly, they all performed very well.  Only the Sharpie marker bled through the paper (is there anything Sharpie markers don't bleed through?).  The pens with darker ink and wider nibs showed some shadow on the other side of the page, while the Uni-ball Vision rollerball and Pilot Petit1 fountain pen (both very wet pens) showed minor amounts of feathering

The pen test.
The back side of the pen test.  Curiously, the paper appears a different colour in this photo.  It is in fact the same colour on both sides of the page.
I really love the dot grid format of this notebook.  The dots offer the look of a plain, unlined page, while also allowing you to keep your words lined up as if you are writing on lined or graph paper.  I usually prefer to write on unlined paper because I don't like the look of the lines, but sometimes find my writing meandering over the page, so this dot grid format really seems to offer the best of both worlds.

Although I probably prefer the orange cover over the black, the Rhodia Webnotebook is an excellent choice in any format.  I highly recommend it.

Related reviews: Stationery Review, Note Booker Esq., Whatever.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the appraisal of the dot grid: I searched high and low for a write-up on this format: you managed to answer all my questions and the photo is most helpful.

    I usually use fountain pens on Moleskine squared pages, and am looking forward to a Webnotebook.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...