Monday, April 23, 2012

Nearly Three Years of Pen Reviews

A Penchant for Paper will be three years old this July.  For most of this time, it has been primarily a pen blog (in fact, I even debated naming the blog "A Penchant for Pens").  Although I did originally intend to write equally about my other, related interests, such as notebooks, journals, the writing process, sketching, and collage, my focus has been mostly on pens and I have written quite a few pen reviews here over the last (nearly) three years.  And in case you always wanted to know what all those pen reviews would look like all lined up together, here they are:

What (nearly) three years of pen reviews looks like.

This photo doesn't quite include all of my pen reviews, since I didn't start writing my reviews in my No.11 Rhodia Pad until this blog had already been around for a few months.  I'm not sure what I'll end up doing with all of these paper reviews (currently, they sit in my desk held together with a binder clip when they're not spread out all over the floor), but for now they serve as a nice record of the pens I have used in the past, many of which I'm no longer using, and will allow me to make comparisons with new pens that I may try out.


I still have at least two more new pens lined up for review and reviews of pens and other items will always be a part of what A Penchant for Paper is about, but I am looking to broaden my focus more to things that can be done with the pens and the other tools, such as writing and creating visual art.  I'm still not entirely sure what directions I'll be going in, so if you have any input to offer as to what you like about this blog and what you would like to see more or less of, I would really appreciate it.  Or maybe you're heartbroken and devastated at the prospect of fewer pen reviews in the future?  I hope not, but if so, at least now you know what (nearly) three years of pen reviews looks like!  (Because I'm sure you were all dying to know that...)  And I have several new posts coming up in the next few weeks, so stay tuned.  As always, I appreciate your support and comments!  Thank you all very much for that!

5 comments:

  1. WOW. I loved seeing that picture of your written pen reviews!! That is SO cool! I think broadening your focus to how to use pens and other tools is a great idea. At some point, we have so many pens/tools that we have to look at other ways to use them besides just reviews. I myself am trying to expand my horizons on my blog to include more "how I use these". Congrats on the (almost) three years and here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on (almost) 3rd birthday! Though I have not written about pens for as long as you do, I often contemplate on how I can revamp these reviews with different approaches. One alternative you can consider is to have pen comparisons (similar nibs, different writing; same ink but varied performance in pens, you get the idea). Whichever direction you are heading, I am sure it will be good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Heather. Three years on the same blog is a long time! Even a higher ratio than internet years?

    Some thoughts for content: First, we can't have too many pen reviews. I am now enjoying my Hi-Tec-C Kurikawa thanks to your blog and I may never have noticed it on my own. Next, From The Art Journal is looking a little lonely. How about some of your mandala's? Moving on, what about reviewing loose writing paper or stationary? My personal agenda here is I am (wistfully) hoping for the re-emergence of penpals. Shouldn't everyone write to each other with pen and paper instead of email all the time? Anyway, there is a lot of great paper out there: Crane, art paper, Mohawk, Canada's own Domtar, etc. Some reviews of unbound paper would be fun. Finally, fountain pen inks. I know you have some fountain pens and there must be hundreds of colors. I am sure many have never been reviewed.

    Although I am a recent reader of your blog I look forward to the next three years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all those suggestions, Duncan! Coincidentally, I published a post of one of my mandalas just today. I do hope to write more about art and art journals in the future. I don't really use unbound paper myself so I'm not sure if I will do any reviews of it, but that certainly is an item that doesn't get reviewed all that often, so it would be something to think about. I'll probably be moving towards less reviews generally, but I would like to diversify the items that I do review, so your suggestions are very appreciated. Thank you again!

      Delete
  4. I'd love for you to write more about notebooks and other types of paper. For some reason I love paper and notebooks more than writing instruments.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...