Thursday, October 16, 2014

Eraser Review: Tombow MONO Zero

The Tombow MONO Zero eraser is the most unique eraser I own.  It's a mechanical, retractable eraser with a cool, silver-and-black colour scheme and clean, straight lines.
 

But the most unique thing about it is the eraser itself, which is only 2.3mm in diameter.  Compared to all of the other erasers that I've ever used in my life, this is incredibly tiny.  Here it is compared to a wooden pencil so you can get some idea of how tiny the eraser is:


Obviously, this is not an everyday eraser.  This eraser is for precise erasing, so that you can remove exactly what you want from your work without messing up your surrounding drawing.  Personally, I'm not that fussy about details when I sketch, so I doubt that I'll get much use out of this eraser.  And I'm not impressed with how the eraser works either.  In my test, it left a definite shadow behind, although to be fair, this kind of erasing is not the intended use of the Zero and if you were erasing a smaller area, the shadow would likely not be as visible.  The eraser also seems to me to be firmer than other erasers I've used and so I feel I need to use more pressure with it, but maybe it needs to be that way for strength, because it is so small.


The end of the eraser is marked with the size (2.3mm) in red.  I at first assumed that this meant there were other sizes available (that way you could easily distinguish between sizes), but this is not so.  However, refills for this eraser are available, and you can also buy a similar eraser that is rectangular instead of round, and has a black body instead of silver.  That eraser sounds intriguing as well, and I would love to hear from anyone who has used it.


 
Overall, the Tombow MONO Zero eraser is unique, but not something that I can see myself using often.  If you're a perfectionist in your drawings, you might get more use out of it than I do.  And if you just like collecting erasers, then you'll probably want one.  From the other reviews I've read, I know that some people will love this eraser because of how precise it is, but it is just not for me.

Would you use this eraser?

~~~

Other reviews: Dave's Mechanical Pencils, OfficeSupplyGeek, Comfortable Shoes Studio.

~~~
 
Note: I received this eraser free of charge from Tombow USA, but that did not affect my review.


6 comments:

  1. The eraser looks intriguing to me, and it sounds like a great concept. At this point in my drawing/calligraphy "studies," I can't see a need for it, but perhaps in the future, it might be just the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never erase anything I sketch, even on the rare occasions when I sketch with graphite, so I guess this wouldn't be useful to me. But how about for writing? You could erase just the one letter in the middle of a word that you misspelled. OK, that's not for me, either -- the only time I write with a pencil is in my planner -- but it's a nice thought. ;-)

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've admired the Tombow MONO eraser since I first read about it in Kiwi Dave's review. Do I have a need, however trifling, for it? Nope. I don't do close work where the MONO might shine, and, even if I did, I still have my old metal eraser shield that'll let me use my Staedtler oblong eraser. An apparently unique, dedicated refill for the MONO makes me think of the things I've owned for which parts are no longer made or are difficult to find.

    I have a small clutch of stick-type dispensing erasers dating from my student days. I use them only very rarely.

    The MONO, I suppose, will find a specialty niche. I'll admit I admire the persistent Japanese innovation in writing equipment. Jack/Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would use this eraser, I think that it's not intended for sketching, either no for fine drawing. This tool is used to technical drawing, In the PC-Era 3D CAD Drawing this may look useless, but for a student, it's a pretty useful tool to get perfect clean precise drawings. Tombow is a Reference brand for me.

    Dartex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm a freshman civil engineering major and I can see a use for an eraser like this in the field. One this small would be useful for correcting contour lines on hand-drawn topo maps on field surveys. In fact, anywhere you need to "get between the lines." I do crossword puzzles to relax sometimes and this would be great to erase just one letter in one small box.

      Delete
  5. Not a big fan of these erasers myself. The handle feels a bit too short, the eraser refills are quite small and 50 % of them is a plastic stick, for the holding mechanism i guess but it seems an clunch grip would have been much better.
    For extra fine eraser work i prefer the Faber-Castell "PERFECTION 7056" , like a round wood pencil with an eraser core, you can point it almost to a pencil tip, with a pencil sharpener and a nail file.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...